Sunday, January 16, 2011

Geometry, Light reflection, and Colonies... oh my!

      Hello all :) Happy 3 day weekend to all that have the pleasure of being off work or out of school Monday! I know I am taking full advantage of this little break to try and get all caught up in my 4th grade studies (see title). Student teaching has been going beautifully. I started off teaching Math and English last week, and loved it! I had my first evaluation and got all 3s and 4s from both my mentor teacher and my U of M supervisor, so I can't complain there. Obviously there are areas I need to improve in but I think most of that will simply come with practice just as it does in many other things. This week, however, I will be taking on the rest of the subjects as well... that's right, I will be teaching Math, Science, English, Reading, Spelling, and Social Studies, all day, every day. Needless to say, I am a little rusty on my 4th grade content skills and knowledge, so I had to bring home all of the books to study up in preparation for my first real week as a "teacher". I am really excited, but nervous as well. Luckily, I have an awesome mentor teacher who really is there to support me and help me wherever possible.
     In other news, I received some exciting news this past week! I applied for Teach for America back in November to meet the Dec. 17th deadline, and I found out I made it through to the next phase of the admissions process. I have a phone interview set up for Sunday January 23rd, which will determine whether I make it through to a final interview. I am so excited to have even made it this far and whether I make it all the way through or not, I know at the end of the day I will not regret my decision to at least try, and I won't have any "what if's" lingering in the back of my mind. So with that said, keep me in your thoughts this next week as I prepare for the next step.
       That is about all I have for an update for now, I'll try to blog again soon for anyone who actually reads this :) Happy Sunday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment